In this groundbreaking book, drummer/producer Mark Colenburg creates a new template for the art of hip-hop drumming. Along the way, he explains and demonstrates many of the concepts used in creating beats in modern hip-hop, R&B and pop drumming and programming—and then shows how to apply these concepts to your own playing.
With a focus on legendary hip-hop producer J Dilla and his unique way of combining styles and creating rhythms, Mark looks at specific aspects of drumming technique, groove, and creativity. These include warm-ups, beat patterns, musical swag, performance concepts, improvisation, and chops. He then puts everything together and demonstrates his own signature beats that are an amalgamation of all these aspects.
“The goal I had in mind was to demystify Dilla and other hip-hop producers’ concepts as basic beats and show how intricate they are, “says Colenburg, “And then show that it can have great applications in playing live drums.”
- Over 3 hours of extensive online video
- Nine chapters of focused drumming concepts
- Video explanation and demonstration to accompany each chapter
- Over 325 examples (grooves, chops, and solos)
- Audio examples for each exercise
- Four play-along tracks with charts and accompanying video
- Free-form drum solo video with transcription